Hurricane Seasons in Retrospect – The Role of Alternative Means of Communications
There were over 35 hurricanes with 15 major ones between 2017 and 2020 according to NOAA. The loss of terrestrial communications is common post major hurricanes, can last for several weeks, and influences multiple fronts for citizens, emergency managers and business continuity professionals alike.
With another higher than average hurricane season already predicted, and terrestrial communication methods often failing during a storm, satellite solutions can deliver connectivity to essential recovery workers in a variety of fields.
- Safety: inability to reach out for help if needed.
- Basic Communications: inability to contact family members and/or work for updates as well as get updates on progresses in reinstating power and terrestrial communications and more.
- Disaster Recovery Plan Execution: emergency managers can react quickly to situations post disaster if they have the right tools to communicate and implement their EM plans
- Safety: emergency managers and first responders deployed in the field post disasters can encounter dangerous situations and can remain safe as well as maintain citizens safe if they have the right comms solutions
- Asset Protection: Taxpayer funded assets such as generators are deployed post disasters and subject to theft and/or loss. EMs should have plans in place to secure these assets
Business Continuity Professionals:
- Business Continuity Plan Execution: organizations can implement their post-disaster plans ensuring their key executives and employees are able to communicate with customers, suppliers, and authorities to minimize impact to the business and address employee safety accordingly
Planning for alternative means of communications for emergencies should be the priority for emergency and/or business continuity leader and citizens. Satellite communications offer a variety of ways to accomplish this goal with personal and personnel safety and management solutions and asset monitoring and management solutions.
Unlike popular belief, satellite communications can be very affordable, even taking into consideration the total cost of ownership. Globalstar
, a leading provider of satellite solutions for business and individuals, offers customizable Satellite Solutions, including connectivity for mobile and field personnel, fleet asset tracking, equipment monitoring, and enables business efficiencies beyond cellular. You will find life-saving technology with a proven track record such as SPOT that has initiated over 7,500 rescues worldwide, SPOT
with the push of a button or asset management
technology that keeps track and monitors fleets and equipment to prevent loss or manage theft alert and recovery.
The key is to plan ahead. Otherwise, everyone involved must deal with higher costs, longer recovery times, and possible loss of lives.
Globalstar is a leading provider of mobile satellite voice and data services. Customers around the world in industries such as government, emergency management, marine, logging, oil & gas and outdoor recreation rely on Globalstar to conduct business smarter and faster, maintain peace of mind and access emergency personnel. Globalstar data solutions are ideal for various asset and personal tracking, data monitoring, SCADA and IoT applications. The Company's products include mobile and fixed satellite telephones, the innovative Sat-Fi satellite hotspot, Simplex and Duplex satellite data modems, tracking devices and flexible service packages.
If you’d like to learn more about us, please contact me @ Claudia.firstname.lastname@example.org