Lone Workers & Personnel Safety
For many companies, role definition often prevents a business from the ability to create a lone/remote worker safety program.
By building a comprehensive safety program, businesses can prepare for the challenges associated with a lone or remote worker employee work force.
Companies do not know how to define roles, process and lack the hardware to create a lone/remote worker safety program.
What defines lone and remote workers?
Remote worker- anyone beyond cellular or terrestrial communication services.
Lone worker – anyone outside of visual or auditory range of another worker for >than 2 hours. Can be remote or within cellular coverage.
Below are use case details to help a company overcome the challenges they face in developing a comprehensive safety program using SPOT My Globalstar
and SPOT devices
- Stay on top of your safety process through message routing.
- Use email for daily “all-is-good” communication
- Use SMS for immediate awareness items.
- It is simple and an effective way to create escalation through our portal.
- Remote worker going it alone
- When heading out:
- Perform safety check on PPE, then send “check-in” message and turn on tracking
- When returning:
- Send “check-in” and turn off track mode
- Immediately document any near misses and properly stow, PPE and tools
- To Track or Not to Track
- Creating sound safety process
- Enabling track mode in the field allows HSE teams to use Geofencing, dwell alerts, and heartbeat alerts to make sure Lone and Remote workers are never far from support.
- Using Subgroups for Lone worker alerting
- Creating subgroups allows you to activate users into an active “Lone-worker” status
- Assign team members to a group that is visible to necessary foreman, leads and HSE teams.
- Create a subgroup and use the subgroup for all the “Lone-worker” alerts that are built.
- Then simply edit the subgroup by make the members active.
- Once they send their returning to base message you can deactivate them by editing the group.
- This keeps managers active in the portal upholding their end of the safety see-saw